Loose-Tube Gel-Filled Construction Falls Short
In loose-tube gel-filled cable construction, the fibers are contained in small, rigid tubes, generally flooded with gel, stranded together, again flooded with gel and covered in an outer cable jacket. These types of fiber cables may experience problems in water penetration and chemical interaction of gel with fiber, even in the relatively long straight runs for which they were designed.
Although loose-tube gel-filled fiber optic cables are used for high-fiber-count, long-distance telco applications, they are an inferior design for the Local Area (Private) Network applications where reliability, attenuation stability over a wide temperature range and low installed cost are the priorities. With the loose-tube gel-filled cables, terminations and any required splices demand extensive cleaning of the messy gel. Also, being relatively inflexible, loose-tube gel-filled cables can develop stress cracks and pinholes, which can allow water penetration and damage to the optical fiber.
Tight-Buffered Fiber Optic Cables from Optical Cable Corporation Are the Answer
Tight-buffered cables offer the flexibility, direct connectability and design versatility necessary to satisfy the diverse requirements existing in high performance fiber optic applications. Optical Cable Corporation is committed to tight-buffered construction as the best proven state-of-the-art design for nearly all commercial communications applications demanding the high performance of optical fibers. Such applications include moderate distance transmission for telco local loop, LANs, SANs, COLOs, and point-to-point links in cities, buildings, factories, office parks and on large campuses.
Tight-Buffered Construction has the Clear Advantage
Tight-buffered fiber optic cables from Optical Cable Corporation incorporate the following important attributes in networking applications:
- Indoor/outdoor versatility: exceptional moisture resistance, UV resistance, material durability and extended temperature range make the cables suitable for outdoor cable runs
- Excellent fiber protection: maximum moisture and mechanical protection provided by multiple fiber buffers and advanced jacket designs
- Easy handling: dense fiber packaging for smaller cable diameter, tight bend radius and easier pulling with Core-Locked™ jackets
- Water-blocking available to meet relevant standards without the use of messy gel filling compounds
- No messy gels
- Ease of termination: direct termination of fibers reduces mess and expense of installation by eliminating steps and materials required
- A built-in ripcord speeds the stripping process
- Flame-retardant and UL-listed
- Higher survivability standards: based on military technology for survival under mechanical and environmental stresses